Wordless Wednesday

November 2nd, 2016

img_3168

New Studio Update

October 27th, 2016

img_3080

Here is my corner of the new studio. There is space for me to work on the cutting table and then my print and ironing table is closest in this photo. My paint caddy is to the left of my work space. There is a utility sink for us to use in the common area.

img_3079

I should explain how this space is set up. We are sub-letting the ground floor of a live/work space. The upper two floors, which would normally be the living space, are occupied by a group of women who make wedding gowns and do other wedding related activities.

Our space had to be sectioned off from the entry area and a room where they meet with brides and their entourage. We contemplated having walls built which would have included a design wall for me. That proved to be expensive and would have a big time lag. So, instead we hung off white draperies from poles that hang from the ceiling. Lisa needed the wall space for her paintings. She rented this space to do her fine art painting. Here is the space showing her work in progress. My space is just to the right of where I was standing when I took the photo. You can click on photos to see larger versions.

lisastudio1

There is a wall of windows which limits wall space but gives nice daylight. Lisa works in this area, too.

lisastudio

Mr C took some of the shelves from my old studio and put them up for Lisa to have for storage.

lisastudio2

The actual footprint for my studio stuff is smaller, but it is a big room where I can breathe and move things out when I need more space. We are going to make a portable design wall with insulation and pvc pipe that will be double sided and can be moved easily.

I always had a problem with parking in my old studio. I have never had a problem here. It also has air conditioning for the summer. I love that there are other creatives coming and going.

Today, I finished an old project as my first project in the new space. I used some deColourant Plus which is discharge paste with color added.

img_3101

I started this t-shirt a while ago as a demo that I did for a guild group. Today, I added color to the rest of the letters which is freezer paper ironed on to the shirt.

img_3097

This is not a very good photo, but you get the idea.

img_3099

So, I am gearing up to get some work done.

 

 

Wordless Wednesday

October 26th, 2016

img_3093

The 70273 Project

October 17th, 2016

team_badge

I don’t remember where I first heard about this project, but I was immediately drawn in. It was founded by Jeanne Hewell-Chambers. You can followalong and find out more on her blog. Here is what she has to say about how she came to start this:

Between January 1940 and August 1941 (before the Holocaust began), 70,273 physically and mentally disabled people – men, women, teens, boys, and girls – were murdered by the Nazis. Though they never even laid eyes on the disabled person they were evaluating, the Nazi doctors read the medical files and, if from the words on the page, the person was deemed “unfit” or an “economic burden on society”, the doctor placed a red X at the bottom of the form. Three doctors were to read each medical file, and when two of them made a red X on the page, the disabled person’s fate was sealed. Most were murdered within 1-2 hours.

I will commemorate these 70,273 voiceless, powerless people who were so callously and casually murdered by gathering 70,273 blocks of white fabric (representing innocence and the paper the doctors read), each bearing two red X’s (representing one person), and I will stitch them together into quilts. 

She soon realized she could not accomplish this alone so she reached out to the world via the internet for help. She has specific dimensions and some instructions, but how you make the red x’s is up to the maker. Here are my first 3 in the 3 different sizes. I fused some red linen x’s to white cotton.

img_3027

I then stitched them down.

img_3034

Here is one of the quilts that Jeanne has made.

quilt1aquiltshow2016amended

This is a big deal and a lot of work. I do hope that some of my readers will jump in and help with this. Just go to her blog. In the sidebar, you will find every thing you need to know.

I have finished one HRC hat and am working on the second one.

img_3019

I am busy cleaning, packing, purging and moving my studio. Most every thing but the furniture has been moved. The furniture will get moved on Sunday. Then Mr C and I have to clean and paint the old studio so that I can get my deposit back.

 

Checking In

October 11th, 2016

img_2999

I have not posted new blog entries for a bit as I am in the throes of moving my studio. I am knitting when I can get a few spare moments. My niece, who is a huge Hillary supporter, sent me the link for the above knit cap with the Hillary logo.

I have been running into the studio to purge and organize all my stuff. The space that I will share with my daughter is not a lot bigger than I have now, but more open and I will be able to have a decent sized design wall. I will share photos and more progress as we move along. I hope that this will jump start my creative life.