I am in the process of creating my piece for the outdoor exhibit. I am creating four panels which will be stitched together to form a 3D piece with steel rods in each corner that will be stuck in to the soil. Remember the first piece I did which I titled Taking Leaf of My Seasons? You can see it here. I removed all those leaves and remade it. You can see that one here. For some reason, when I took those leaves off the first quilt, I put them in a paper bag and hung on to them. When I was thinking about what I wanted to do for the outside exhibit. I knew I wanted to 4 panels and making a seasonal piece seemed to be the way to go. So, I am upcycling these babies.
I put misty fuse on half of a two yard piece of lutradur. Then I placed leaves and ephemera with the leaves and fused the whole thing together. Next, I may fuse a few more pieces of ephemera to the outside of each panel. Then I am going to stitch them and give them a coat of Golden matte medium. The piece at the top is the fall leaves. Here is winter:
I am happy to report that Lisa and Clay have found their forever home, here in Portland. They will not be able to move in until June 21. After 4 offers that were refused, needless to say, they are very happy.
This may be a record for me! Seventeen days since my last post. I don’t have any exciting reason. I got a really nasty sinus infection with the worst vertigo. Ended up in bed for a few days. Then, this past week, I had a hectic schedule. On Monday, Mr C and I helped to hang the SAQA Oregon Exploring Layers show at the AIR Gallery in Pioneer Place, downtown Portland. It will be there through May 17th. The Gallery is open Thursday – Sunday, noon to 6 pm. That is Walking with Scooter and Mr C hanging at the show.
On Tuesday, I got caught up with some SDA work. On Wednesday, I joined a large group of SAQA members for a docent tour at the Portland Art Museum of Italian Style, a comprehensive look at Italian fashion from the end of the Second World War to the present day. It was fantastic. I had lunch with friends and then took the street car back home.
On Wednesday night, I went to Trinity for the latest art short course. This month, we are screen printing. I could, of course, teach this class, but it is fun to be a participant. We used torn and cut paper to make our designs. First, I cut craft paper into rectangles in a pattern. by folding and cutting.
Then, I cut circles in freezer paper.
Her is my first print from the rectangles.
Then, I printed magenta circles.
We printed on paper. I am quite happy with this.
On Thursday, I got my neglected hair cut an colored. I felt so much better. Mr C and I took the street car downtown to a symphony concert. It was a one hour free concert for donors, educators and other community folks. It was at 6 pm and and then we stopped at one of the breweries for supper.
On Friday, I got lots of errands done. I found some steel rods to use for my 3-D construction and have started work. Hopefully, I can share some progress tomorrow. I also produced the Constant Contact newsetter for Columbia FiberArts Guild and got it sent Friday night. Whew!
On Saturday, I met a friend at 8:30 in the morning and we drove down to Silverton for our Oregon Critique group meeting. This was the beautiful view of the Silver Lake reservoir from Carol’s deck. So pretty and peaceful.
Our critic was an artist from Salem. I thought she was a bit too complimentary of our work. Didn’t really get much out of it. I did enjoy seeing the work the others have done.
Betty and I left, Silverton and then went to Pioneer Place to set up for the opening reception of the exhibit. Hung out there until 9 pm, when Mr C came and picked me up. Today, I have been trying to recover from the week and to get caught up on SDA work! Here is a shot from the show. It looks great.
So, now we are all caught up. I hope I can get back to my regular blogging schedule again.
Julie, the March Queen Bee, chose Mola as her theme and black, red and any other bright colors. Molas are a Panamanian form of reverse applique using many layers of fabric. So, the first challenge was interpreting embroidery in a print. I selected a simple design, which I shared in a previous post. My plan was to do a black outline on red fabric with a yellow or orange center.
I made thermofax screens and the registration went fairly well, but before I could finish printing, the screen fabric started disintegrating and leaving blobs. I came home and regrouped and printed my design on freezer paper and cut the stencil.
This is the black outline stencil.
And here is the stencil for the centers.
It is not bad, but it does not live up to my intention. I couldn’t find a yellow or orange paint that would cover the red and print stronger. The paper stencil began to fall apart and I ran out of red fabric, so I used the thermofax printed flower for the six inch giveaway piece.
Here is the mosaic showing the fabrics that were completed by the end of the month. Just couldn’t make it this month. Next month I am queen bee – whee! I get a month off and I get to have new fabric.
This thing has taken over my life and is all finished but the facings. It received a very favorable critque from EB. I was very frustrated with the quilting. I thought I might have the patience to do evenly spaced quilting lines, but it quickly became apparent that I am not OCD enough to do that. EB thinks it looks better with my wonky lines, anyway. So I am relieved and happy. Let’s just say, there were a lot of threads to bury! It is 24 X 42 inches.
I thought I would turn this 180° to see how it looks, but I think the top one is better. Now I need a title.
Great news! Lisa and Clay made the drive from Oakland today with two angry cats and Wilfredo, their dog. They had to stop half way and get a second cat carrier. They are settled into a temporary rental while they look for their Portland home. It will be so great having them here. I am a happy Mom.