This morning I got my hair dyed and discharged. So now I have some summery highlights in my red hair. It took 2 and a half hours so I feel as if the day is passing me by.
I want to finish uploading and making notes about my shibori pieces as this will serve as my virtual notebook of my work.
Judileigh knew that I was having a carpal tunnel problem which made the arashi wraps very difficult for me. She suggested I try stitching a tube to fit over a pvc pipe. Here is a silk dupioni wrap that I did by pinning and marking. I brought it home and stitched it.
Here it is after dipping in dye:
Here it is coming off the pipe:
Here is part of Sunday’s work. I bought a yard of linen from the school fabric locker. It was a very lightweight and loosely woven linen. I did lots of different techniques so that I will have pieces to collage.
- On the left is this scarf (second photo down on the left) wrapped and dipped in indigo.
- Next is a piece of red orange dupioni silk folded and clamped with washers and dipped in indigo.
- Top of the third row is a piece of the linen. The lines were created by making folds and doing a running stitch along the folds. Then they are drawn up tightly and tied off for dyeing in indigo.
- On the left underneath is the heavily stitched piece from earlier in the week that I folded and clamped with circles, probably film container lids.
- On the right is another plaid shibori. I used the linen and made half inch vertical folds which I stitched and pressed. Then I did the same thing, horizontally. The fold cause a resist, making lighter areas. The stitching also leaves some lovely fine lines.
- Top of the next row is the linen which was folded and clamped with two canning jar lids held in place with rubber bands.
- Underneath is the linen that was folded and clamped with different circles.
- Top piece in the last row is the dupioni silk that was stitched into a tube to make an arashi wrap.
- Beneath are linen that was tie-dyed and folded and clamped with bag clamps. (I am on the look out for these. they are like large barrettes.)
Here are close-ups of some of these pieces.
Here are the remaining 3 pieces:
- Top left is a piece of the linen on which I tried to use a piece of bamboo as a resist. I didn’t get the results that I want, but it is a nice organic looking piece of cloth.
- The bottom piece was a hand-dyed lime green which I tie-dyed around screws and then arashi wrapped on a pole.
- The final piece is the linen which I hand sewed around the pvc pipe for an arashi wrap. I love this piece. Here is a close-up:
My table mate Rita was obsessed with the triangle wrap which I tried on two pieces. She did it on silk first and got the mushy results that I got. She then used cotton and some very precise pressed folds and wrapping. Here is how it looked after coming off the pipe.
Here it is after unwrapping. It is really gorgeous. Her tenacity paid off.
It was interesting to watch all of the working styles. I was after lots of textures and fabrics to use in quilts. Some class members were very project orientated. Some just played and experimented with fabric with no intended use.