After (so far)
(You probably can’t see a lot of difference in these two photos.) I loved the fabrics in this piece — the gorgeous shibori, the fabric I painted and the beautiful silks. I had a great idea and then I over-thought and over worked it. I decided to make the green flash really flashy by adding mica chips and glass beads in gell medium. What was I thinking?
Another problem was that the bottom edges. Even though the edges were uneven, the outer edges needed to be squared.
So today, I decided to see if I could rehabilitate this puppy. First, I started trimming the edges to square it up. Next, I started scraping off the gel medium with the beads and mica chips. My hope is to get the surface smooth enough to fuse new fabric to the top and just let the green silk work on its own as the green flash.
When John Hopper titled his blog post about my work. “The Quiet Stillness of the Textile Work of Gerrie Congdon”, I was glad he had not seen this piece. I also thought I could take it back to be more representative of the landscapes that I love to do.
I think it is worth trying to save.
I only had part of a day to work in my studio because I had the Columbia Fiberarts Guild board meeting at my house this morning. We accomplished a lot of good stuff. I am really happy with how things are going and not regretting that I took on the job.