I am taking a break from my schedule to post the soup recipe for Dale Ann and anyone else who is interested. First I just want to say that Sue Benner is my heroine. She not only shared a contract with me, she also shared an initial agreement that she uses for commission work, which explains the process.
Here is the Spinach Tortellini Soup which we also call Christmas Soup because of the colors and I often serve it on Christmas Eve.
- Two quarts of chicken or vegetable broth
- two tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 5-ounce package fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 package fresh cheese tortellinis
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed soup pan. Add garlic, onion and oregano. Saute until garlic is golden but not burned. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 -15 minutes. Longer simmering will intensify the flavor. Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add tortellinis and cook until pasta is nearly done. Add spinach and basil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
Back to our regularly scheduled programming.